Car Insurance - FAQ

What are the laws regarding motor vehicle insurance in Spain?

In Spain, all vehicles using the roads must be insured for third party liability risks. All Insurers policies fully comply with the Regulations of all EU territories.

Do I need to get a MOT Certificate before I obtain insurance for my UK registered vehicle?

Most insurers do not insist on an MOT. It is now becoming popular in Spain for UK vehicles to be checked at the local ITV (MOT equivalent) station. But remember the ITV certificate will only be valid in Spain, so if you travel back to the UK and do not have a valid MOT certificate it could lead to problems with the Police there. One of the insurer’s policy conditions requires that your vehicle must be kept well preserved and in a suitable condition at all times. Any violation of this could invalidate cover.

What do I need to take out a car insurance policy?

Simply your date of birth and the date your driving licence was issued. Please note that the driving licence must either be Spanish or validated in Spain and that your identification must also be Spanish.

Is there a minimum or maximum age to take out a car insurance policy?

You can take out a policy from the age of 25. There is no upper age limit as long as you hold a valid driving licence. Please note that the premium may vary according to the age of the driver and the length of time they have held their driving licence.

How long does my cover last?

Car insurance policies run for one year. There is always an option to renew your policy.

Can I renew my cover based on the same terms and at the same premium?

The premium and terms of your car insurance policy can vary from year to year. The age of the vehicle, the age of the driver and your claim history will all affect the renewal premium.

Can I include other drivers on my policy?

Yes, of course. You can always take out a car insurance policy which covers different drivers. Ensure you provide us with the details of everyone that the policy will cover. Remember that the number of drivers can affect the premium of your car insurance.

Am I insured under my own policy if I drive someone else´s vehicle?

No. You must ensure that if you are driving a vehicle that does not belong to you that the owner of that vehicle has arranged for you to drive under the terms of their Insurance policy.

Will changing the vehicle registration data affect my premium?

The date of registration of a car is very important as it shows the age of a car, the accident history of the vehicle, etc. The age of your car can affect your premium and even affect whether we can insure the vehicle.

Is there a maximum age for the car that I can insure?

There is no maximum defined age limit for the vehicle that you can insure. However, if your vehicle is a certain age there may be exceptions that apply. Vehicles over 15 years old are limited to fire, windscreen and own damage cover. Vehicles over 25 years old are not covered by public liability insurance.

Why does my date of birth or driving licence issue date change my premium?

The driving licence issue date is essential for a company to calculate the price of your premium. There is a big difference between holding a driving licence for one year and for ten years. The age of the driver is also important.

Will changing my postcode (even within the same province) affect my premium?

The postcode is a risk factor which is assessed in the calculation of your insurance premium. Driving in the capital city is a completely different situation to driving in a small rural town. The price may change significantly from one area to another, even within the same province. As you know, the majority of incidents occur on short journeys.

Can I cancel a policy?

In most cases, you can cancel your insurance whenever you like. Remember to do so at least one month before your renewal date otherwise your insurance policy will be automatically renewed.

Cancellation does not guarantee the refund of the premium that covers the remainder of the policy. Most insurance policies are designed to run for 12 months and the premium you pay is for a full year. Therefore if you cancel mid-term and do not take out another policy, strictly speaking you are breaking your agreement to insure for the full year. If you do cancel there are still a number of costs that have to be paid for, such as administration, documentation and commission to the agent that arranged it. These costs have to be covered no matter how long the policy runs. Therefore if you cancel within 12 months you will be charged on a short period, rather than a pro-rata, basis and the refund you will receive may be quite small.

Is it true that I must carry all my vehicle documentation in the vehicle at all times?

Yes it is. Whilst driving your car on the road in Spain you MUST have the following documents with you:

  • Driving licence
  • The car´s Ficha Tecnica (showing the technical details of the car) or Log Book if UK registered
  • All your insurance documents – receipt, certificate of insurance (for UK vehicles) and Green Card
¡Sí! Compare - Insurance
Send this to a friend
¡Si! Compare - Saving money in Spain made simple!

We are the first comparison website in Spain, in English.

Visit to compare the market and get instant quotes from certified suppliers.

Lower your bills and make your money go further!